Sunday, February 9, 2014

Building a Juice Box (Level 2 Charging Station)

Over this past summer I decided to back a project on Kickstarter for an open source level 2 charging station; called the EMW Juicebox.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/emw/emw-juicebox-an-open-source-level-2-ev-charging-st

Now that I have finally gotten the project assembled and started playing around with it, I thought that I would post some info about my experience so far. Unfortunately I haven't been able to test charging my car with the unit yet, but I'll report back soon.

The Basic Edition JuiceBox comes with a very nice aluminum case, pre-assembled mainboard, psu, and relay.


Wifi wasn't yet an option when I purchased my unit (but wasn't worried because I had a spare router sitting around), so I've made a few modifications to the hardware. Like adding a current current sensing coil and an arduino ethernet shield. This requires some small modification to the main board in order to use the SPI interface on pins 10-13. Pin 12 was used to trigger a relay for the GFCI test circuit, but since Pin 7 was free I cut and re-routed the trace as shown below.


I also added Jumpers to enable the LCD, but I haven't decided where/if I will mount one yet.
 Currently I am thinking that I will just develop an android application for the display instead of using the LCD.

Here is the working Ethernet shield.
I like the fact that the code is open source, so it can be modified. I got as far as sending a "Hello World" to my computer as a UDP packet. Not bad for a quick test. Stay tuned to see where I will go from here...




No comments:

Post a Comment